Thursday, March 5, 2009

Quilted memories ...


Last September, I blogged about my coffee table that was made by Nichelle's 2nd grade class. Click here if you want to see it. The table was one-of-a-kind and sold at the school's annual fundraising auction. My MIL was the highest bidder, and to my surprise, she gave us the table. It sits proudly in our living room today and is a constant reminder of the fun times we had at Monica Ros School. The girls got a great start at this school.

That same year, Nicole's kindergarten class made a one-of-a-kind quilt. It too, was auctioned off and again, my MIL was the highest bidder. She gave us the quilt along with the table. I don't even want to know how much she paid for these items because I know it had to be a lot. There were many wealthy families at that school and I'm sure most of them placed bids. By the generosity of my in-laws, these special items came into my possession. We have the quilt hanging on the wall near the girl's rooms. The first picture is Nicole's square from the quilt. It's especially sentimental to me because she drew it right after we lost our cat. You can see CJ as a kitty angel in the sky. We still had Belle along with two other cats, Abby and Nica. On the left you can see our beagle, Maggie. So, when I look at this, I see not only Nicole's cute artwork, but a reminder of the pets we had at the time. In addition, when I look at the quilt entirely, I'm reminded of Nicole's kindergarten class and some of her kindergarten friends. It's a wonderful keepsake and I am honored (and quite spoiled) to have both the quilt and the coffee table in my home. Anyway, there's nothing super important about this post. I just wanted to share this story and quilt with you ...

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt Rena - and a great idea! (And what a great MIL to buy both!) Memories are so great. I think that is why I have gotten into scrapbooking so much - I just want to save all the special moments of my kid's childhood... so that they can throw it out some day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! How nice of your MIL! When I was teaching, I had the class each make a square for a quilt and a mom quilted it for my co-teacher that was getting married. She cried when we gave it to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious and you are blessed to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your MIL was so sweet to win those both for you.What beautiful keepsakes.Nicole's artwork almost choked me up with the "kitty angel" on it.I enjoyed reading about your wacky cat yesterday as well.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is precious and a beautiful keepsake. Thanks for showing us.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love the quilt. in fact I love quilts in general. They are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful quilt and a special MIL...I love the kitty angel...Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids each made quilts like this when they were younger - I still have them.

    Love the coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, how cute! I love the coffee table picture as well. Those kinds of things are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to have those keepsakes, very special!

    ReplyDelete