Sunday, March 22, 2009

Open Season 2


I watched Open Season 2 with Rick and the boys last night. I laughed my head off and was surprised how funny it was. I loved Open Season, so when the second one came out in theaters, I tried to get the boys to go see it. They're skittish about movie theaters, so we never went. At first I thought it was because they felt the theaters were too loud. But what I really think is that they don't like the previews. They're never age appropriate. I don't know why you go to a kid's movie and have to sit through previews for movies about vampires, terrorists or whatever. So because of that, I think that's why the boys are a little freaked out about theaters. The day Open Season 2 came out on DVD, they just had to have it. By then, the novelty for me had worn off and I wasn't as excited to see it. Then last night Neil decided I was going to watch it with him and I'm glad I did. It was just as good as the first.

Open Season was about wild animals verses hunters. Open Season 2 is about wild animals verses domestic pets. There's a cat in the sequel named Roger who is absolutely hilarious. He talks with a lisp and is dumb as a bag of rocks. He looked exactly like a cat we used to have, so that made it even more funny. I'm really into kid's movies, especially the soundtracks. The original Open Season soundtrack is awesome. I play it all the time. I didn't hear as many songs in the sequel last night, but it was still just as good as the first movie. It has some crude humor in it, which I don't usually like, but it wasn't too bad. The squirrel, played by Billy Connolly, is constantly saying rude remarks, but most of them are either bleeped out or talked over. His accent is so thick, so it's hard to make them out. Anyway, I was really surprised how funny this movie was, especially since sequels don't tend to be as good, especially ones that are released only on DVD and not in the theaters. As a writer, my main interest is writing about animals. Movies like this just make me want to come up with that perfect story!



9 comments:

  1. This is what I miss most about have a little one in the house...When Son was little, I could watch these movies and blame him...but I can't do that now and Hubs is NOT a kids movie kinda guy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Brenda -- Rick is the same way, but I can get him to take me to see one if I really want to. We saw Igor and Speed Racer that way, since the boys don't like theaters. I guess you could always watch them yourself and tell your husband it's "research" for your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks cute. I remember when the original came out, but we never saw it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could never get my son to go to the theater either, but my 11 year old daughter is all about fun. We'll see this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked the movie Rena! You hit the nail on the head though about movies - the reason I haven't taken my kids to a movie theatre is the previews. You just never know what you are going to get and I know my kids would freak out and want to leave if anything remotely scary came on right off the bat! And then there goes the $30.00 it cost to get us in the door!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love movies with the family. We'll probably do this one. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any kids in the house, but that doesn't prevent hubby and me from watching kid movies. I love 'em and so does he (most of the time anyway.) These look right up our alley! errr tree?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids were reluctant movie-goers when they were little, too. I haven't seen these...maybe I can convince them rent the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thnx for the heads up. That's good to know. So many 2nd movies are never that good. It's nice to know this one lives up. I may have to rent it now.

    ReplyDelete