Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oh, my aching back ...


I'm sorry I missed everyone yesterday. I ended up in the ER around 5am and for the rest of yesterday, I was a complete zombie. It started around 9pm Tuesday night when I felt myself getting a stomachache. I don't usually have stomach pain, so I figured it was something I ate. I went to bed early hoping it would go away. It went from stomach pain, to pain and pressure in my sternum. Then it turned into full blown muscle contractions in my back. I've had this before, so I knew it was going to get bad. I took some Motrin, but that didn't help. I took one of my old muscle relaxers, but that didn't help. There wasn't a position I could get into that wasn't painful. If I laid on my back, my chest hurt and I couldn't breathe. It was miserable. The last time I had this was when Rick was down in Helena last September. I had a really bad night that time and had he been home, I would have gone to the ER. I think that time I finally fell asleep around 6am. This time, however, I thought I could get through the night again. I was wrong. I finally had Rick take me to the ER around 5am. They gave me a shot for the muscle spasms, some morphine for the pain, another pain med and something for the nausea. Needless to say, I was a zombie yesterday. All I did was lie in bed and drift in and out of sleep. There are a lot of fun blogs that I follow, so I apologize for not being around to comment on them. I hope to catch up soon. We're pretty sure this back pain is caused from hunching over in a C-position while typing on my laptop. I do that way too much, so it's weird how this pain comes and goes every few months. Once it starts up, I'm doomed. The best way to describe it is like severe back labor pain, but without any relief in sight. They did an EKG on me too, probably because I was complaining of pain in my sternum and they wanted to rule out any heart problems. I got some prescriptions though, so hopefully if it happens again, I won't have to make the trip to the ER. On a positive note -- because I wasn't hunched over my laptop yesterday and wasting time on message boards and Facebook, I managed to work on a new picture book idea I had. I got the first rough draft written -- in longhand, on paper even. I still feel out of it, but I am hoping I can at least get through school today. Thanks for listening to me whine ...

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Rena! I hope your back has a healthier day today! That is a rough day!
    My husband always tells me my posture is awful when I'm on my laptop. I'm going to try and straighten up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Rena! It sounds so painful -- sorry you had to go through that! Take it easy today.....step awayyy from the laptop!

    Neen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I'm so sorry. :(
    You need one of these.

    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/07/belkin_laptop_accessories_keep_your_lap_cool_during_marathon_internet_surfing_sessions-2.html

    http://www.lapdawg.com/

    I hope these links work. I'm sure you can find some that are cheaper.

    Feel better.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is terrible sounding...

    I hope you are starting to feel better...!

    I learned yesterday that my patella (knee cap) is eating away at the notch in my femur (which made me laugh, because of the Lemurs!) so now I get to start physical therapy...
    I work out a lot and now I have to stop, which bums me out...

    Hope you are having a good day today and congrats on writing something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear, you MUST take care of yourself. Maybe do some back exercises every day to keep that from happening, stretches. I sure have to else I end up with a lot of pain in my shoulders and have to go see my chiropractor to get unkinked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,that's miserable.I've never heard of such a thing.Take care of yourself Rena,we want you around!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor thing! I was worried about you - I kept popping on to check your blog and kept seeing Dilly! lol Hope you are feeling better soon!

    Great news about the new book though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor you. Feel better soon!
    These computers have a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you feel better soon. My husband has a lot of back problems and has actually had two surgeries. I hope you don't need that to feel better. But I love that you made the best out of it and worked on a picture book--that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about this! I've had back pain, but nothing like that! Glad you got some work done on your picture book. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooooo sorry.

    Feel better.

    My husband used to have back issues - now we do pilates - just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rena I hope you're doing better. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rena...I'm a little behind on blogs also, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and I hope all is well now (or at least much better).

    I have back problems, so I know how bad that can be, but I've never had spasms...those I can't even imagine the pain...Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! This is terrible. I feel so bad about this. Hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete