Monday, March 9, 2009

Potato-Bacon Soup


A few people have asked for the recipe I use, so I thought I'd post it here. I apologize if I've done so before. I can't remember if I posted it here, on a message board, or if I emailed it to someone. Regardless, here it is --

6 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
4 chicken bouillon cubes
6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
12 ounces evaporated milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine potatoes, water, onions, and bouillon cubes in greased 5-7 quart crock-pot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in crumbled bacon, milk, and grated cheese. Cover and cook another 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Makes 10-12 servings.

Note -- I have a 6 quart crock-pot and mine generally cooks faster than what my recipes require. For this particular soup, it's usually done after 4.5 hours, but your crock-pot might vary. I usually use 6 medium to large potatoes, give or take what I have in the house. I've used russet potatoes, but red or white would work just as well. It's a really good soup and goes especially well with hot French bread. Sorry this isn't the best picture, but I was hungry and didn't feel like fussy with the camera too long -- oink!

15 comments:

  1. I love potato soup and this recipe sounds delish, not to mention...easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now I know what I making for dinner tonight.. yummmmm

    beautiful blog..
    so glad I popped in for a visit

    mona & the girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds soooo good! I just need a crock pot... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing! Now I'm hungry all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, I love anything with bacon! Thanks, Rena! I'm putting this in my recipe file!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A recipe? A recipe? I have nowhere to go with this! lol I guess I will go see what you are talking about on Facebook instead.
    hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to make this! Thanks Rena. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Dear Mom used to make this and it was oh so yummy. And another was her lentil soup.

    Oh Memories. . . make my mouth water.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the weather to get cold enough here to try this. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love potato soup and this sounds so yummy...I might just have to let "He" make this for his first meal...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummo I think my family would actually eat this! Thanks.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh goodness that looks good-i'm printing it out now:)
    bacon and potatoes-2 of my fave foods:)
    -amy

    ReplyDelete