Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sticky, gooey honey ...


Did you know that September is National Honey Month? Honey is produced by honey bees, obviously, and is pretty complicated. Well, at least it is for me at 6:30 in the morning! So, if you'd like to learn how honey is made and all the details, click here. I love honey. My favorite thing to put it on is peanut butter sandwiches. I especially like it on a really grainy, whole wheat bread with crunchy peanut butter. I also love honey on cornbread. I buy a lot of huckleberry flavored honey too. That is good stuff! Bigfork is a big cherry producing area and I see cherry flavored honey in the stores, but I haven't tried that yet. Here are some fun facts about honey ...

Bees have to tap into 2 million flowers to make a pound of honey.
A worker bee visits 50 to 100 flowers per trip.
In a bee's lifetime, they only make about 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey.
A honey bee can fly 15mph.
Utah is known as the beehive state.
A honey bee has 4 wings.
Bees communicate with each other by dancing.

The National Honey Board has lots of interesting information about honey, including more fun facts, recipes, health information, and more. National Honey Month has been proclaimed by the US Secretary of Agriculture. Of course, when I think of honey, these things come to mind ...

Honey Bees
Crunchy, Munchy, Honey Cakes by The Wiggles
Honey Pie by The Beatles
Honey Baked Ham
Honeysuckle
Honey Hush by Foghat
Honey Crisp Apples
Money Honey by Elvis Presley
Bit-O-Honey
What Do You Do For Money, Honey by AC/DC
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
Sister Honey by Stevie Nicks
Honey Bunches of Oats
Wild Mountain Honey by Steve Miller
Winnie-the-Pooh
Honeycomb by Jimmie Rodgers
Honeycomb Cereal
Wild Honey by The Beach Boys
Violet Crumble Honeycomb Candy Bars

What comes to your mind when you think of honey?

7 comments:

  1. I usually just use honey to dip biscuits into (yum!). My honey of a daughter dips her chicken in honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a teaspoon of honey is good for coughs too. I sometimes give it to the kids when they have a cough. I also put some in hot tea when I have a sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lurve honey! I use it on/in the girls' pancakes, waffles, PB sandwiches and smoothies, instead of faux maple syrup, sugar and jam. I've tried to bake with it, with very limited success. It always turns out really dark and dry, even when I cut the cooking time. Oh well, I'm not giving up until I can find a good recipe!

    Btw, my MIL recently went to a fair/festival and brought back Huckleberry Honey. It's very dark, like Knott's Boysenberry syrup. I like it, but I'm leery of using too much of it b/c the label doesn't say what exactly is in it, besides honey. For all I know, it could be HFCS!

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is??! Too bad I am not a honey fan. =/ But, hey...I'm still sweet as can be!!! :D hahahaaha

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey and crumpets! So good. And now I want some, even though it is 10:00pm and I know there is none in the house. Hmmm... late night crumpet run anyone??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are cool facts! I only like honey on sopapillas. lol Darren loves honey, eats it on a lot of things.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete