Friday, November 28, 2008

Day of Discovery ...

Yesterday was a day of discovery at my house. It started off in the morning as I got out our Thanksgiving decorations to set the table. I found everything but the one thing I wanted most. Last year I made a Pilgrim Hat Centerpiece from Family Fun Magazine. It looked really cool with an autumn collection of flowers in it, so I wanted to use that as our centerpiece again. Rick & I tore through the downstairs closet, but didn't find everything we were looking for. Then I tore up the upstairs closet while Rick looked in the garage. Still, no centerpiece. Going through our downstairs closet is like Christmas to my boys. They had 3 or 4 huge boxes shoved in there with various toys that were never officially unpacked or that had gotten thrown in there out of frustration. They discovered all sorts of treasures like oodles of Hot Wheels cars, race tracks, GI Joe's long lost boot, and stuffed animals they thought they couldn't live without. Who needs Christmas when you have a closet like mine? Upstairs I made a huge mess in the hall, which you now couldn't walk through. I found my latch-hook rug kit. Remember those things? I loved doing them when I was younger. I have a huge leopard rug that I started years ago, but never finished. I knew it was in there, so it wasn't that big of a discovery, but at least I got it out so I can start working on it again. Way in back was the box where the roasting pan was in, so I pulled that out. I pulled everything out, but no centerpiece. Now the house was in shambles and we were trying to get our meal started, I was getting irritated. I went back downstairs to the closet of treasures, because by this point, that was the only place it could be. Sure enough, in a huge unmarked box, there it was. I also discovered our turkey games we made last year, one of which I posted a picture of yesterday. Inside the box was also a nativity the girls & I made during school many years ago. It was so unlike me to mix my holidays like that, but I guess that was the only box I could find for those big items. Anyway, I finally found my Pilgrim Hat Centerpiece and I got my table set, so all was well. The picture above is of the centerpiece from last year, but this year's looks pretty much the same.

The other big discovery for me yesterday was NaNaWriMo. I did it! I wrote 50,000 words in less than 30 days. I even had 3 days to spare. When I first began this project, I thought there was no way I could make that word count. I have only written picture books that range from 500 to 1000 words. The only exception was my one middle grade novel, which topped at 10,600 words. I thought there would be no way I could reach 50,000 words, but I did it. I received my winners web badges and printed up my certificate from NaNaWriMo, so that was cool and gave me a sense of accomplishment. Of course, the manuscript is long and drawn out and rambles, but with time I hope to clean it up and make it presentable. Just being able to reach my goal was a big discovery for me. And finally, the day before yesterday I began working on my upcoming website. Just getting this started and learning how to use the program was a discovery in itself. I hope to have the site up soon.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finding your centerpiece (lovely! aren't those Family Fun crafts great?) and winning NaNoWriMo. It sounds like you had some fun discoveries and a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful centerpiece and a lovely table as well from what I can see. I'm glad you found it!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing Nano, Rena! That is a huge accomplishment!
    I love your centerpiece, too.
    I also worked on a lion latchhook rug when I was younger, I finished about 2/3 of it...I don't know what ever happened to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly -- Oh yeah, I love FF Magazine. I'd be lost without it. We've been using it for years.

    Nancy -- Thanks. I did take pictures of the flowers we got this year, but I didn't upload them before I posted this. They're a little different looking.

    Kelly -- Thanks. I'm glad it's over because my wrists are really bugging me now. NaNo had a lot to do with that, but the other day I spent literally ALL DAY designing a website. That really took a toll, so I'm glad NaNo is over and I can give them a rest. Do you think you got rid of your latch hook kit? My leopard one is really big and I have to spread it out on the floor or bed just to work on it. I have a spot in my stairway that it might go on, IF I ever finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing the 50,000 - that's amazing. I didn't even try. Maybe next year.

    Sounds like you ended up having a good Thanksgiving.

    We spent the day working on our Christmas decorations - no time like the present.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the 50000 words. That's quite an achievement. How are your hands?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoooo hooooo! Yay! *\o/*

    Way to go girl! Congratulations! 50,000 is a lot of words! It feels good, doesn't it?

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I am impressed! Congratulations on your NaNoWriMo success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing NanoWriMo! That is such an accomplishment.

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! :)

    Kate -- my hands are still a little sore, but not hurting as bad as they were. I spent too much time on the computer working on my website recently, in addition to this NaNoWriMo project, so it really took a toll on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on NaNo!!! I love the centerpiece...I get Family Fun Mag so that I can find crafts to do with the kids at the complex...it is a great mag...

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hooray for finishing NaNo (and for finding your cool pilgrim hat decoration).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go on getting to 50,000 words! I can't imagine!

    We have a place like your closet - it is our unfinished basement! The kids love going down because they never know what 'treasures' they will find... and mommy cringes because she knows they will want to bring them upstairs again! lol

    ReplyDelete