Monday, November 17, 2008

Homemade Bread Day

Yes, we have another wonderful unofficial holiday upon us -- Homemade Bread Day! Now if that's not exciting, then I don't know what is. I have fond memories of my grandmother baking bread when I was a little girl. I loved watching her knead the dough back and forth. The smell of the bread baking was enough to make you drool. Now many people use bread machines which are a whole lot easier, of course. My husband likes baking bread this way. As for me, well, you all know what a crock-pot fanatic I am. Awhile back I tried a recipe for bread in my slow cooker and it turned out really good. I put it right in the crock, not in a separate pan like most recipes say to. I cooked it in a 6-quart cooker and it turned out really good.

HONEY WHEAT BREAD

  • 2/3 cup powdered milk
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • dry active yeast (1 envelope or 2-1/4 tsp)
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup flour

Directions: Dissolve powdered milk in warm water and then combine with oil, honey, salt, yeast and have of both flours. Beat on low for 2 minutes with an electric mixer until combined. Place dough in a greased 4-6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours. Remove stoneware from cooker and allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing. Serve with honey, butter or jam. Mmmmm!

9 comments:

  1. Homemade bread is sooooooo yummy...but I don't think I've ever made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I've never made homemade bread like this before...I've only made it with the frozen bread...Will have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am definitely going to try this. I am NOT a good bread maker, but I love bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yummy, I think I will have to try that!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to make bread too. The smell wafting through the house is so inviting.

    I have a killer chocolate zucchini bread recipe. I know it sounds weird but it is soooo yummy!

    Maybe I'll have to make that a post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love the combination of honey and whole wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to try this. I love homemade bread, but most of my previous attempts have resulted in heavy brick-like loaves:) I've never heard of using the crockpot to make it. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! I love the idea of making it in the crockpot.I'm copying the recipe right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad everyone liked this. I have a few other recipes for making bread in the crock-pot, so I want to try them out soon and see if they work as good. One is just a white bread, but the other is cranberry-orange bread, so that's the one I want to make next. Might be fun for the Holidays coming up. Nothing tastes better than bread when it's still hot from the oven ...

    ReplyDelete