Saturday, November 8, 2008

Where the heck is it?


Do you ever feel like this picture? Well, I don't mean physically, in the sense of things. I'm usually pretty good about keeping things organized. I came from a very unorganized home when I was growing up. Not just unorganized, but downright messy. This cartoon cracks me up. For a few weeks I was stomping around the house looking for one of my earrings. I had just gotten them and I only had one in my jewelry box. They're not expensive, just brown wood circles with some painting on them. I looked and looked and looked. Every time I went to the store I would look at new ones and debate to buy another pair. Then the other day my daughter walks into my room and says, "Here's your earring. I couldn't fix it." DUH! I'm slapping my head right about now. I had given it to her to see if she could fix it because it kept falling apart. How could I forget that I'd given it to her? I went through my whole room, dug through my jewelry box and scoured through all my purses looking for it. Am I losing my mind? Am I getting so old that I'm forgetting things?

My NaNoWriMo project reminds me of this. I'm not writing a fictional story. I decided to write something else, something factual. I don't know if that's against the rules, but I thought it would be a good chance to discipline myself to getting it all written down. But what is interesting is that I am remembering so many things that I have long forgotten about. Fortunately, I have a very large collection of things to help spur all of these long lost memories, like photographs and old publications. I'm finding the whole writing process really interesting in a new way. What have I remembered over the past 25 years? What has really stuck out? What have I totally forgotten about? What dates or years did I get confused with? It's been interesting, to say the least. Is there something you've lost and can't find? However, some days I still feel like this lady pictured here ...

16 comments:

  1. Omg. LOL, Rena. XD

    Sometimes I feel like that woman, too. Since having kids, I've become more forgetful. I guess it's that "baby brain" syndrome. You know, the one where you lose a ton of brain cells from lack of sleep? And never get back?

    Yeah, that one.

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Gale on this one. Pre-kids I was (or at least I seem to remember that I was) a very organized person. I was known for it at work and was always the 'go to' person. Ever since kids, I seem to forget things - especially nouns! lol Thankfully I have been with my hubby long enough that now when I say "Honey, can you get me that thingy with the handle," he just hands me my mug! lol

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Tracy! I was at my dentist office a few months back and he asks his assistant, "Can you hand me my little mirror thingie?" I was shocked. I'm sure it has another name! God knows what he calls the syringes -- "the little numbie thingie?" Eeeeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cartoon is the reason I always know where Koda is before I sit down...grin...

    I feel like this woman often...sometimes it feels like hundreds of things are going through my head at the same time and I'm grabbing at as many thoughts as I can before I lose them all...and then I sneeze and have to start all over again...argh! grin...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ that cartoon, Rena! I have one of those memories that can tell you what happened on whatever date you give me. However, if you tell me 3 things to go get at the store, you will be lucky if I come back with 1 of the things. I'm trying to be better organized, but I'm not there yet.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a terrible memory. Once we were in the car and I told my daughter that when we got home, she'd have to take a time out for her misbehavior. She replied, "Okay, Mom." Then told her brother, "Good thing Mom will forget when we get home."

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a hilarious picture!!!
    Tragic and funny at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like that woman way too often! I wish I could say I was organized, but it's a perpetual challenge. I'm working to get myself organized, so I can be a good role model for my little boy. At least I've got the living room working well, and he's so proud when he cleans up all his toys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cartoon. You know me too well Rena, I don't have to answer your question! heehee

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! that picture is hysterical!

    I lose things all the time.

    I'm so glad this NaNo process is going well for you. I think it really does help us to know that we've committed to just getting out idea's for an entire month. There's more benefit to just getting the idea on paper than I ever realized.

    Good luck and keep going!

    You be da woman!

    christy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loose things all the time, have a shocking memory, lucky I have Miss 3 who knows where everything is, so I just ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cartoon reminds me of the many times my mother would ask, "Where are my glasses?" And they'd be sitting on top of her head which is where she usually kept them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my house the forgetfulness is known as "Sometimers..."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's a little scatterbrained sometimes. I'm usually very organized, but lately I'm beginning to wonder about myself.

    Rick is too. He just spent the last 3 weeks looking for his glasses. Not one pair, but 2 or 3 pairs. He moved them all together so he could take them to the eye doctor, but then couldn't remember where he put them. And of course, he found them in "the last place he looked" -- bahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought a black fabric bulletin board and clear pushpins and hang all my jewelry on the board on the wall. I found that using a jewelry box - since it was always closed - meant I forgot some pieces that I had, and on the whole I wore jewelry a whole lot less.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with your NaNo novel! It sounds like a really cool project.

    ReplyDelete