Saturday, February 13, 2010

Grrrr!


One of my biggest pet peeves is finding a product I really like, only to have it discontinued soon after. Why do companies do that? Logic says it has to do with sales. But on my end, when I go to the store and the item I want is often sold out, that tells me people are buying the product. For whatever reason, some companies think they always have to reinvent the wheel and make something new & improved. It makes me crazy. Even Dominoes changed their pizza recently to make it better. It's one of the few pizzas my boys even like and then they go messing with it. Are they stupid?

I love make-up. I've been wearing it since I was in my early teens. But when it comes to make-up, I won't spend a lot of money on something I wash down the sink every night. You will never find me in a department store near a plastic-faced lady in a white trench coat trying to con me into buying an entire skincare regime. Nope, that won't happen. You will find me in Target or Walmart or even the grocery store looking at CoverGirl products.

A few years ago Christie Brinkley made her big CoverGirl comeback introducing the Advanced Radiance Age-Defying line. Now I'm 45, so I wasn't opposed to trying something with a name like that. As it turned out, I loved the compact foundation. A few months ago I saw it on clearance, so I knew they were going to discontinue it. I bought extras even though I wasn't out. And sure enough, now it's gone for good. I looked online hoping to find it, but didn't. Then I checked the CoverGirl website and they had the gall to say, "If you wore Advanced Radiance Age-Defying compact foundation, you'll just love our Simply Ageless foundation." WTH? I mean, what was wrong with trying to defy age? Now they think it's better to be ageless? And if that's not insulting enough, they also had the nerve to put "find replacements for those dearly-discontinued products" on their site. If they were so flipping DEAR, why did they replace them?

So recently, I've bought two other foundations and hate them both. They don't give the coverage I got from the one I used before. I saw the Simply Ageless foundation at the store the other day and it was over $15. So, is that how companies work? They discontinue a product they know people like only to replace it with something that costs over twice as much? Who knows. Maybe I'll like the new one. But then again, maybe I'll never know since it costs so much and I'm too cheap to pay that much.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you--Grrr! It happens all the time, I guess they forget about loyalty and they think anyone over the age of 50 doesn't use makeup so they don't go after their dollars.

    The other thing that just gets me, if the product is still being made, the store's buyer decides not to carry it because not enough sales. They give the shelf space to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTFLMAO!! It's ok Rena, don't be afraid to speak your mind, really! Everything is for the almighty dollar!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS frustrating! I haven't had that problem with make-up (since I don't wear it) but there have been shampoos, lotions and underwear I really liked that I can no longer get. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I found the new stuff at Walmart for $12, which was a little better than $15 at the other store. However, I'm going to try another brand. Rick was making fun of a foundation ad in a magazine today, so I'm giving that one a shot. Ahh yes, the power of advertising works well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny - 'cuz my husband and I were just talking about foundation today. He asked why women wear it - cuz - I don't. I said for sunscreen, which is a really good reason. I've just never liked the stuff. Plus, I'm even cheaper than you - obviously ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Rena, sorry! That is frustrating. Hope the new one works better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! For me, it's Neutrogena Instant Nail Enhancer. Loved the stuff. It made my nails look polished, yet I could just peel it off. I haven't found anything else like it.

    God bless,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true Rena - it is totally frustrating. I can't really say that I have run into it for make up though. I don't wear much on a daily basis anymore - only when we go out or my face really needs covering up. And I haven't bought any in a long time - which I know is bad and that make up has a shelf life and goes bad. So I won't mention that the eyeliner I wear was bought on a school trip to Quebec... in 1987. Oops. :)
    I guess if I try and replace it, it may have been discontinued by now? lol

    ReplyDelete