It's 1am and I have a terrible headache and can't sleep. I got up to check my email and figured I'd try to think of something to blog about. In my search, I found that today is Nancy Lincoln's birthday. She was born in 1784 in Virginia. You just might know her from her oh-somewhat-slightly famous son -- Abraham Lincoln. Maybe it's the headache or maybe I'm just weird, but here are some interesting facts about Nancy Lincoln ...
- Nancy's maiden name was Hanks.
- As a child, her mother took her on the famous Wilderness Road.
- Nancy was skilled in needlework and sewing.
- She had 3 children -- Sarah, Abraham, and Thomas.
- Nancy died of "milk sickness" in 1818.
- Nancy was only 34 when she died, Abraham was 9.
- Abraham helped carve the pegs for his mother's coffin.
- No authentic photos of Nancy Lincoln are known to exist.
- Tom Hanks is a distant relative of Nancy Lincoln.
Another thing I found interesting is that in the movie Toy Story 2 when Jessie first meets Woody she yells out, "Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!" Very cool. I'll have to pay attention to that the next time I watch it.