Thursday, January 28, 2010

It was this big!


On this day in 1887, the largest snowflakes ever recorded fell during a snowstorm in Fort Keogh, Montana. That's in the southwestern part of the state. Now, I don't know if this is accurate or not, as I'm getting it from Wikipedia. However, if it is true, these snowflakes must have been something to see. They were reported to be 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick. Dang! I've only lived in Montana three years, but I've never seen a snowflake that big. I sure would like to though, just to say I have.

We have snow on the ground at our house, but I don't think any new stuff is expected until the weekend. That is, if we get that even. It's been a mild winter for NW Montana. I heard it would be with it being an El Nino year. I'm not sure why that is, but I heard we'd probably get less snow this year because of that. Last year we had so much that we had to shovel some from our roof, and it's slanted even. But still, if I saw a snowflake 8 inches thick, I would probably be pretty impressed. Definitely a Kodak moment.

I love this snowflake graphic. I saw it online and have used it for the boy's school schedules before. It looks like the snowflake is saying, "It was this big!" It cracks me up how his eyes are all wide, like he's telling some great fish tale. And yes, snowflakes have eyes -- of course they do! I guess I'd be doing the same thing if I saw a snowflake that was 15 inches in width. Just think of a ruler and add 3 more inches. That would be one big snowflake!

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, that would decapitate you. Hmmm, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a snowflake that big would do some serious damage to home and property. Can you imagine how much one of those would weigh? YIKES! Definitely would be something to see though.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a giant snowflake swooping down from the sky. Great graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have a hard time replicating that in paper cutouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's some snowflake! I wonder what kind of noise they made while they were falling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine a snow flake that big!

    ReplyDelete